5.17.2005

glade syttende mai!

today is the seventeenth of may, norwegian constitution day.

both sets of my father's grandparents are fresh-off-the-boat norwegian. (and my mother is part swedish-- which explains my inner conflict as well as my fair skin.)

people find my very norwegian last name (sounds like "dense fog" or even "spongebob") fascinating. family lore has tells the story of it like this: my dad's paternal grandparents came through ellis island (en route to iowa, talk about corn-fed). at that time, it was traditional for european emigrants to form a surname by adding "son" to the end of their father's first name. our last name would have been "jonson," or the more americanized "johnson."

however, this is my family. (have you met me?) i am erika with a 'k,' my sisters are cristina, no 'h' and anna, pronounced on-ah. great-grandpa didn't want to be just another "johnson." he took the name of the area from which he originated, and formed our last name. it means "stoned bay."

yeah, no one can pronounce my name the first time they see it. it's a pain to order pizza (i use my roommate's name or my first name). i did get teased for it in elementary school (the most unoriginal: stensvagina). but it's my name, part of who i've been since birth and part of my family's past.

if you want to talk about this further, give me a call. my number is 1-900-viking-b*tch.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 8:46 AM, Blogger Shocho said…

    It's good to be weird, except that sometimes you want to be normal. Okay, I shouldn't have said "weird" there, I should have said "unique" or "special." Maybe not "special." :P

    However, I think it's easier for unique people to act non-unique than the other way around. So we got that going for us. Which is good.

    Anyway, I think it's cool that you embrace your heritage like that. You do strike me as icy cool Scandinavian in a good way. A hat with horns would help, I think.

     
  • At 11:11 AM, Blogger thisismarcus said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 11:13 AM, Blogger thisismarcus said…

    Great punchline! Your writing really entertains me.

    I can't believe I've known you a year and not called you Stensvaagina once. How remiss of me!

    BTW you should absolutely go to the immigration museum at Ellis Island if/when it re-opens. Not only is it one of the oldest buildings I've ever seen in the U.S. at 100 years (I know, I know... "not possible!" you're all saying) and they're frank about the way the immigrants were treated in those days.

    I passed the immigration test there without studying. I rock!

    P.S. Go Team Europe!

     
  • At 12:22 PM, Blogger Brad said…

    That number didn't connect ... ;)

    I got teased a lot by my last name. Kids can be cruel.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home