4.28.2005

...but the celery can still hurt your feelings.

greek tragedy is my second favorite blog. stephanie klein writes about adventures in and around new york city in such an honest voice it's hard not to believe her. (we can all thank brad for sending me the link to it and getting me hooked.)

in one of my favorite posts funnel cake and celery sticks she writes about two different types of men: the bad but oh-so-good boy who is so good at the time [funnel cake] but hurts later and the good-for-you boy who just doesn't seem to be quite right [celery stick] and just doesn't fill you up, no matter how much you have.

my celery stick came in the form of the-boy-i-dated-last-summer (please note: NOT my ex-boyfriend).

like a washing machine, as one of my friends described him, reliable. non-offensive. attractive in the way that makes your friends say 'erika he's cute' but doesn't make you worry when you go out in public. nice guy. nice.

i got stuck in my own inertia. i knew it wasn't going anywhere-- but everyone knows it's nice to have someone to be the last call of the evening. someone to try new restaurants with. someone who would go see the movie you want to see. [apparently, my time limit for moving out of my own inertia is longer than 3 months] i got comfortable.

maybe i put too much peanut butter [not reduced fat peanut spread] on my celery stick. smothered it in full-fat buttermilk ranch dressing. breaded it and put it in the deep fryer. i don't know- but, it seems, the celery stick can still hurt your feelings.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 3:14 PM, Blogger erika said…

    you figure that out, you call me!

    seriously, my roomie (mm) says it's something like a sub sandwich... tastes sooo good, fills you up, and is still somewhat bad for you.

    a burrito?

     
  • At 4:48 PM, Blogger Shocho said…

    It's not an "either/or" choice. When you meet the right person, it's both. Like a smorgasbord.

     
  • At 6:22 PM, Blogger Brad said…

    No, celery stick or funel cake. Of course someone can be more funnel cake than celery or be more celery than funnel cake.
    It's like the temp gauge on your car.
    If you gals start using terms like 'sub sanwich' or 'burrito' I"m going to fall right off the reference train and be lost.

     
  • At 9:00 AM, Blogger erika said…

    one has to give some credit to the man who's been married longer than i've been alive...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home