7.11.2005

just a consumer.

i spent the weekend catching up with people i'd started to neglect, what with the job making me bitter and wanting to nap all the time. well-- i still want to nap all the time, but for a different reason. ;-)

it started with an hour long phone call wednesday with a friend i hadn't talked to in 3 months. she lives 10 minutes away and it's not long distance to call her. i'm going away for the weekend, i said, call me monday or something. or you can call me, too, she replied. i don't know if i will. does that make me a bad person?

it was off to arlington friday to see another friend and my sis and paul. i hadn't seen my friend since her wedding 3 months ago. i saw her new apartment and looked at tons of wedding photos. i've yet to have a real conversation with her new husband.

time with my sister and paul and their menagerie was great as usual. a lot more tour de france and nationals game watching than my weekend would have otherwise contained, but also more rib-eating and time with people i love. i swear, they have to explain the tour to me every year.

saturday night and sunday took me to richmond to see one of my very best girlfriends, who's spending her summer as an intern at a law firm. nora and i were both art history majors as undergraduates; now she's a law student. (art history really is very reputable-- just ask mr. smith). we visted the virginia museum of fine arts and saw capturing beauty: american impressionist and realist paintings from the mcglothlin collection. the building was nice, and the exhibit was good too, but we decided after multiple tripes to the louvre, the uffizi, the vatican, the centre pompidou and even the national gallery, we have high museum standards. i may be snooty.

nora asked me how i was. i'm fine, mostly.

i'm a stress-induced nail biter. before my unfortunate period of unemployment, my finger nails never had any white bits on them. now, i can almost see my thumbnails above the fingers. if hotcop has her way, i'll get a manicure in a couple weeks.

the last few days, though, i've felt like a leech on the ass of society. i'm just a consumer. i'm not contributing in any way, it seems. i don't provide a service, i don't produce anything, i just consume. buy stuff. pay for stuff. use stuff.

sigh.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 7:37 PM, Blogger Tom said…

    Your sister and Paul sound like lovely people. Baseball, the Tour, and ribs? Heaven.

    You can cheat and try to impress them with some of the junk from my blog. It seems dreadfully tour heavy at this point. If they are true junkies, point them at Dave Zabriskie's web site.

    Word of warning. If you watch the Tour around here, you are likely to see me in one of the commercials. A lot.

     
  • At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yep--her sister and Paul ARE lovely people. I checked out Dave Z's site. The on bike interviews are great!! The taint...not so great. Ew.

     
  • At 9:24 AM, Blogger erika said…

    tom, i've heard tell of these fat frogs commercials! next, they'll be on during the oc.

    ha! i got cristina to comment! ha!

     
  • At 9:40 AM, Blogger Tom said…

    Well, the taint stuff was practical. Yucky, but practical if you are spending hours on the bike per day. But yucky. Not sure I needed to know that Z was a "hairy beast."

    The on the bike inteviews give a cute little insight into what it must be like to try to communicate with racers from all over the world. Add to it the fact that Z is obviously a total nerd, and it is lovely. McEwan's comment about the New Zeland comics was the best!

    Erika, shame the commercials were filmed before I was granted 2 months to train without the interruption of, you know, a job :) If they are going to be on during the O.C., I'm going to request a refilming.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home