8.16.2005

that kind of girl.


When I got my belly button pierced my freshman year of college (right when i turned 18, in fact) I called up my sister.

"Anna, I got my belly button pierced!"
"Oh."
"It was a birthday present."

I don't think I can convey the meaning in that "Oh." Now, let's be clear-- I did get it pierced right at the height of the trend. More than one girl in my dorm got it done right around the time I did. But I didn't care cause I really wanted it. HotCop and I tried to go the summer before we went off to school, but I wasn't yet 18. She promised to pay for it for my birthday that year. I'd been thinking about it for months. Anna told me later she mentioned it to one of her friends who said:

"Oh, she's that kind of girl."

What kind of girl is that? How could she judge me because of one decision I'd made? I was young, but I'd thought about how much it would hurt; I almost passed out when I had my ears pierced for goodness sakes. I guess I didn't think about what it would be like a couple months later when my belly button got all pus-filled and it bled and was gross and the only way to make it better was just to wait. Still have it today, though.

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • At 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That kind of girl is excellent, in my pierced opinion.

     
  • At 1:16 PM, Blogger The Paranoid Mod said…

    When I got my nose pierced my mum asked me "But isn't that what homeless people have?"

    Bless.

     
  • At 4:42 PM, Blogger Valerie said…

    my mom said she "didn't know me anymore" when I got my nose pierced. hee hee.

     
  • At 5:39 PM, Blogger erika said…

    mine said "at least you didn't get a tatoo!"

     
  • At 8:12 PM, Blogger TheGirard said…

    at least it's not a tramp stamp

     
  • At 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    When I got my nose pierced my mom said "at least you didn't get a tattoo." But when I got my first tattoo, my mom said "at least you got someone who could draw, unlike your brother" and "you didn't pay for it with my money, did you?" My grandparents are still afraid the nose ring will deter a nice Jewish boy from marrying me. Sigh. You know, those belly-button piercings are going to ruin the world.:)

     
  • At 8:49 AM, Blogger thisismarcus said…

    Some of the cool boys at school got an ear pierced. I was annoyed that my folks had made their feelings clear ("when you're 18 you can do what you like"), but now I'm grateful they discouraged me cos I moved on from thinking speeding around in your friend's dad's car was a great way to spend a Friday night.

    No piercings, no tats, and my one filling is white.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home