9.19.2005

free falling.



Worse (better?) than the actual ride part of an amusement park ride, I think, is the anticipation of it. This was certainly true of Drop Zone at Paramount's Kings Dominion.

It sells itself as "...the largest drop ride in North America, a 305-foot tower of thrills that promises daring riders a 272-foot descent at 72 miles-per-hour!" For me, it was practically a 305-foot anxiety attack. Joe laughed on the way up and I yelled at him to stop- I was too scared and needed to be able to hear myself repeating, "I'm going to be fine, I'm going to be fine."

The ride itself is so short, you hardly have time to notice it. Just as I started to think "WHAT THE HELL DID I GET MYSELF INTO??" the ride was over. Just like that, they put on the brakes.

I think my life is in a free fall right now. It's out of my control; I'm searching to find the brakes but the handle seems just out of reach.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 9:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    At least you don't get motion sickness. There's a metaphor in there somewhere.:)

     
  • At 2:52 PM, Blogger thisismarcus said…

    Seems like the fastest way to part with your lunch to me!

    To extend your life metaphor, maybe YOU can't reach the brakes but someone somewhere is looking out for you and will intervene before you crash.

     
  • At 3:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Judging from what you write, I don't think you're capable of crashing, Erika. Smart people with good hearts always find their footing somewhere. And plus, sometimes it's kind of fun to not know what the hell you're doing. Otherwise, you wouldn't have reason to look for anything.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home