9.13.2005

long lost friends.


Yesterday and today have given me glimpses into the lives of people I never thought I'd see again.

Drea was one of my best friends when I was studying abroad (yes, I am already a broad). I always thought she looked like a blonde version of Charlotte from Sex and the City. As our semester ended, Drea warned us she was really bad about keeping in touch and once basketball season begans she would probably go AWOL. I guess we didn't understand just how bad she would be at keeping in touch, even with Madalyn, her Florence roommate and Jen, who went to Colby College with her. After we graduated school, I know she did Teach for America, I think in Texas. Now, she still sends mass emails to my old, non-functioning email address (erika_the_peach :-)) but Madalyn fowards them to Jen and me. Drea has a new blog about her adventures sailing around the world and teaching some rich kids.

It always made me sad she couldn't be bothered to keep in touch with us. Jen, Madalyn and I have had two reunions- one in Seattle and one in Chicago, and try to email pretty regularly and Drea hardly even bothered to call or write.


The other story is much happier. My good friend Alden from high school is engaged to this lovely lady named Latrice. Alden was always the leader in our slum group. In AP English class senior year, he organized the "answer sharing" on our practice exams. Alden, Byron, Melinda, Taneka and I divided up the 50 multiple choice questions and went to work. Now, these weren't "for a grade" so it wasn't exactly cheating. But if my public school had an Honor Code it would have been a violation, I'm sure.

Alden also had the HAs (Home Alones) at his house most often. His brother, our alcohol supplier, used to tell me he was quite confident the world would end at the year 2000. One time in particular I remember because we thought we heard Alden's parents come home... the brother organized everyone grabbing anything that looked like alcohol and throwing it over the fence in the back yard. Turned out it wasn't the parents.

Makes me wonder, of my friends now, who will stick and who will become long lost. Especially with all the changes in the lives of those around me.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Erikkka- your giving Drea too much credit by saying that she looks like Char' from S&C...Let's say she looks more like one of Char's dogs....hehe

     
  • At 6:45 AM, Blogger erika said…

    Maaaad... you are so mean sometimes!

    (kosmo- ensrjk)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home