10.18.2005

how much wine did i drink?


...I really have no idea. It's impossible to measure at one of those tastings.

Breadhouse wanted to know the details... Joe's got the pictures, but I will tell the story...

We arrived pretty close to when the 'fest opened... about 11:30, and found a nice shady spot to set up our chairs (which belong to my parents) and picnic basket (also my mom's) full of snacks (provided by us).

We hit the wine... It was a little intimidating at first, cause as much as I like wine, I know very little about it. The only stuff I know came from my semester in Italy and the movie Sideways. So the first couple booths I just winged it. I knew nothing about Virginia wine.

Joe and I had a great time the first couple of hours, tasting wine and snacking on our picnic- which contained no less than three kinds of cheese. We decided we had the cool picnic because we were the only ones who had this kind of cheese.

This was the mostly sober part of the day.

    Bits:
  • Virginia climate is great for Cabernet Franc grapes.
  • We tasted a LOT of Cabernet Sauvignon, but the best was at Afton Mountain Vineyards [Side note to sisters-- ahem, I mean people... who may want to get married possibly at Virginia wineries... these people were SO nice].
  • I tasted one or two Chardonnays, remembered I don't really like it until we got to Rockbridge Vineyard, and when the guy said "Chardonnay" and I made a face. "You may be surprised," he said. I was, and I bought two bottles. That's where Joe's favorite Tuscarora Red was.
  • We bought (and subsequently drank) a bottle of something I can't remember... from a place which had good wines, but a mean lady...
  • I strictly avoided the fruit wines.

...and then we ran into Baybreeze and Co... and thus ended the less drunk part of the day.

Part of the Co was actually one of my roommate's work colleagues. He and I had a chat, catching up on mutual acquaintances, including Mr. HotCop (P-har).

Many more glasses and bottles were emptied. Much wine-drunk (which is different than regular drunk) conversation occurred, the height of modern philosophy, and Work Colleague and I discussed politics. I showed off my Art Historical knowledge by informing everyone the Greek god of wine is Bacchus. (Thanks to Michelangelo for providing the art.).
    Bits:
  • I drank alot of wine which belonged to others at this point.
  • Watergate salad is so good.
  • I can't remember alot of what I said, but what I do remember is hi-larious.
  • Apparently "Not all liberals hate the military," according to wine-drunk me.
  • Also, "I've been a girl for 24 years... no wait... how old am I?"
  • "I don't want to send you a fax!"
  • I still strictly avoided the fruit wines.

    See my previous post for the results of this debacle.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 12:37 PM, Blogger thisismarcus said…

    Sounds like another drink fest! BTW Bacchus is the Roman god of wine. (The Greek one was Dionysus.)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home