10.11.2005

the yard sale.


Thanks to all who donated... my yard sale was a success! We raised over $250 for the hurricane victims. Special thanks to HotCop and Mr. HotCop (P-Har), Breadhouse and BookWorm, Aw-zee, and The Man Who Brings Me The Traditional Garage Sale Donuts. Big ups for all your help!

I had forgotten about the yard sale culture! P-Har, having been traumatized in childhood, only agreed to help with "heavy lifting. I'm not going to put shit on tables." As my mom said "That's why you're not dating him." That, and his blatant Republicanesque sensibilities, but another time...

At first, I was quite confident no one would show up. Especially when HotCop and Joe were LAUGHING AT THE MERCHANDISE and stressing the hell out of me. I woke up before my 6:00 alarm on Saturday, having woken up quite consistently every hour. And I'm a good sleeper, too. You can see how much effort I put into my appearance. And how tired I looked. It was early. Not to mention the fact I spent all day Friday going through stuff and convincing myself no one would show up, and I was pricing stuff too high, and I wouldn't make any money.

Sometimes I'm a pessimist.

It was kind of fun, though. We had a beautiful weekend (note the blue Virginia sky). It was great to use my yard for something. I didn't quite reach my goal of $300, but neither did we sell all of the furniture.

    Some highlights:
  • Breadhouse and BookWorm checking out the sale, the Beatrice and the area.
  • The little girls from down the street, who showed up with Dad's box of change. They went through all the silver coins quickly, and started paying pennies.
    -How much is this?
    -Oh, it's very expensive. It's $3.
    -I have three dollars. One...two...three...

    I let her count all the way to 100 before I told her to fill each of my hands up with pennies and we could call it even. Hey, it was for charity.
  • The 93 year old woman, who bought a fake flower arrangement, and wanted to sit with me until her son-in-law came to get her. She was going to walk to my house, but she just was too tired.
  • Bambi (not a nickname) and Flo (not a nickname) from the 'plex across the street practically buying out the shoe department. My feet are size 7.... as they fit perfectly into my size 9 shoes.
  • Making a difference in a different kind of way.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home