7.15.2006

can you please spell "gabbana"?

Last night was a girls' night out to the movies-- a couple girlfriends and I went to see The Devil Wears Prada. I read the book a couple summers ago, Meryl Streep was in it, and I heard the clothes were fabulous.

The clothes were, indeed, fabulous. Sure, there were some made-designers, but there were also Calvin Klein Coats, Hermes scarves and a FREE MARC JACOBS handbag for the friend. Free. And NOT Marc by Marc Jacobs, which you can now find at Marshall's. Nope. Actual and real. Purse-gasm and all that. Sometimes I shock myself with my materialism.

Anyway, those of you out there in my blog-audience are unlikely to see it, so I'm gonna go ahead and have major spoilage. Valerie, turn away now. :-)

The whole point of the movie is that Andy [Anne Hathaway] changes her core values for her new job as assistant to the editor at Runway [the fictional Vogue], Miranda Priestly. In the end Andy sees what is supposedly the dark side of the fashion industry and decides to leave her job for a supposed more "honorable" position at X Random Newspaper. Once she's decided not to work for Miranda anymore, she suddenly has quite a bit less fashion sense.

To me, the "good" Andy is the typical boring, flat character. Wrote about the janitors union for her college newspaper, makes fun of the girls at Runway who wear stilettos, and shows up at her interview never having read the magazine. The "bad" Andy was proactive, sassy and interesting. She's two steps ahead of Miranda.

Why is it a big deal she needs to dress fashionably to work at a fashion magazine? Don't you need to understand and enjoy games in order to better design them?

Why can't she be smart, have integrity and know when she needs a flat iron?

Why can't she have both? I guess that wouldn't have made a very good movie.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • At 5:37 AM, Blogger Shocho said…

    Let me hear you say, this shit is bananas
    B-A-N-A-N-A-S
    this shit is bananas
    B-A-N-A-N-A-S
    Again, this shit is bananas
    B-A-N-A-N-A-S
    This shit is bananas
    B-A-N-A-N-A-S

     

Post a Comment

<< Home